Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Game On!

There's been a lot going on this week. I could blog about the trip to Qumran and Masada I took yesterday, or put up more Istanbul pictures (you can see Meredith's retelling of the trip on her blog at http://buckeyeinisrael.blogspot.com/ ), or write a little bit about being really into the swing of the academic calendar, or my weekly movie-Saturdays, or the Emek Refaim Street Fair, or the crazy rain we've been having, or a host of other things.

But I'm not. Today is November 4, 2008, and it's election day in The States, and for all of you reading in the US, you're right in the thick of it. It's been very strange to be abroad, and in a country that overwhelmingly supports McCain, and not be in California to help campaign for Obama (in NV) or against Prop 8. The voting absentee was really fun - this was a vote I was proud and excited to cast. All day today I've been on edge, wearing my Obama t-shirt, conferring with classmates (we're overwhelmingly supporting the Democratic ticket, and a lot of classmates vote in Ohio, Florida, Indiana, Virginia, and Missouri, so voting has been really important). I've been furiously reading articles, watching news, checking polls - I've really become a news addict these past few weeks - and I can't believe it's over. Today is election day. Today is the day. Today is game day.

Now, I'm off to see the HUC flag football team, the HUC Wise Guys, kick the Pardes flag football team's butt in, well, flag football. Then I'm going to try and get a few hours of shut-eye before waking up and watching live returns starting at 2AM when Virginia and Indiana's polls close. I think I'm going to live blog the election, not really for anyone to read, but really just because I can.

So, let's hope for hope, change, progress, an Obama-Biden administration, and 60 Democrats in the Senate!

Game on!

No comments: