Monday, May 11, 2009

is the Pope Catholic?

You betcha. 

And he's definitely in Jerusalem right now.

He's in Jerusalem so much that the entire city center area, an area than encompasses my campus, most of my friends' apartments, and even, really, my apartment, was totally shut down to cars and buses this afternoon. And that's only day 1 of a 5 day visit. 

We've been told that any plans this week involving any sort of mechanical transportation (cars, buses, taxis) - which include our class trip to see Star Trek tomorrow night, or the end of year barbecue Wednesday afternoon after the student-faculty football (read: soccer) game - are all tentative until they actually occur. Because of the Pope. And his entoruage. And the ensuing traffic. 

It's a doozy.

In other news, tonight starts Lag B'Omer, so in order to celebrate I got my haircut (thanks to Meredith and my hair clippers) and then walked by dozens of bonfires in the park (a nice term for the desolate, Mordoresque barren weed-land) by my apartment. The whole city smells like smoke. I've got 14 days left until I leave for southeast Asia, 29 days until I'm back on American soil. Oh boy.

No comments: